CAF Phase II
Connect America Fund (CAF) Phase II, commonly called “CAF Phase II,” provides support to price- cap carriers based on a forward-looking model of the cost of constructing modern networks for deploying voice and broadband services in states with unserved areas.
This is a six -year fund that began in 2015 when the FCC awarded 10 telecommunications carriers over $1.5 billion in annual support to build voice- and broadband-capable infrastructure in their areas.
By the end of 2020, CAF Phase II rural broadband deployment will serve over 3.6 million 九游会官网登录 homes and small businesses in 24 states and one U.S. territory. Learn more.
In order to receive CAF II funding, carriers must offer at least one voice and one broadband service commercially. These services must meet the relevant service requirements and go to the required number of locations.
Carriers must complete:
- 40 percent of deployments by the end of year 3
- 60 percent of deployments by the end of year 4
- 80 percent of deployments by the end of year 5
- 100 percent of deployments by the end of year 6
For more information, see the FCC’s Price Cap Resources page.
Annual Filing Requirements
Carriers receiving CAF Phase II support must also complete the following filing and certification
requirements each year.
- March 1: Submit the geocoded locations where you have newly deployed facilities capable of delivering broadband that meets or exceeds the defined speed tiers in the previous year. Submit locations in the HUBB.
- July 1: Certify your data by filing File Online
- October 1: Certify you have used High Cost funding correctly per program rules. Most carriers are certified by their states. But, if your company is not subject to state jurisdiction, you must file yourself. Learn more.
USF/ICC Transformation Order (FCC 11-161) – Order implementing CACM
FCC Executive Summary – Summary of the USF/Transformation Order
April 2014 Connect America Order (FCC 14-54) – Continued the implementation of the landmark reforms to modernize universal service for the 21st century
Connect America Phase II Model Order (FCC 14-190) – Finalized the decisions necessary to proceed with the offer of support to price cap carriers
Attachment C – State, County and Carrier Data on $9 Billion, Six-Year Connect America Fund Phase II Support for Rural Broadband Expansion
CAF Phase II Accepted Areas Map – Identifies the areas where some of the nation’s largest phone companies, also known as price cap carriers, accepted Phase II support
ACS Order (FCC 16-143) – Order adopting tailored service obligations for Alaska Communications Systems (ACS)